New invention set to thwart imminent slug invasion
- Tests at Scotland’s Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College) proved an 86% efficacy
- New system will significantly reduce levels of metaldehyde in the environment and water systems
A new invention is set to become the gardeners’ ultimate defence against their nemesis.
Following eight years of research and development by seasoned gardener Mike Inglis the new environmentally friendly Molluskit barrier system will become a must have product for those involved in the on-going battle with armies of slugs and snails.
The Molluskit barrier prevents slugs gaining access to plants and vegetables both on the surface and underground, deterred by a series of interlocking panels that, once connected, not only form an efficient protective barrier but can also act as a raised bed.
The specially designed ‘comb‘ element stops the molluscs from gaining access to plants and vegetables above ground whilst blocking access to the root or bulb systems underground.
Key facts about slugs:
- The average UK garden is estimated to be home to around 30,000 slugs.
- Only 5% of the slug population is above ground at any one time. The other 95% is underground eating seedlings, laying eggs, and feeding on roots and seedlings.
- British gardeners used an estimated 700 billion slug pellets last year.
- A cubic metre of garden will on average contain up to 200 slugs.
- Unlike snails that hibernate during winter, slugs are active whenever the temperature is above 5°C.
- A slug lays 20-100 eggs several times a year. These can lie dormant in the soil for years, hatching when conditions are suitable.
Mike Inglis from Molluskit said: “At some point in their lives every gardener will have experienced that sinking feeling when they see slug damage to their garden. The Molluskit system is designed to not only reduce the damage that molluscs cause but to do it in the most environmentally friendly way ever.
“It is non-toxic and long lasting unlike slug pellets which are known to be harmful to both humans and wildlife when ingested and are only around 60% effective. The Molluskit design was refined and defined over hundreds of hours of time-lapse video recorded laboratory experiments and ultimately field trials at Scotland’s Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College) which proved the 86% efficacy.”
The Molluskit barrier is scientifically proven to be a more effective alternative: a natural way to prevent slug and snail damage without harming the environment or killing the earthworm – nature’s own natural gardener.
Last year’s weather helped slugs and snails thrive even further, with sales of slug pellets rising 74% in Spring. As a result, we are experiencing alarming levels of metaldehyde (the active pellet toxin) in our river systems.
Before installation of the Molluskit system, gardeners simply clear the area they want to cultivate and protect, then insert the ground panels and upper comb pieces into place.
Mike Inglis explained: “The Molluskit barrier is scientifically proven to be a more effective alternative: a natural way to prevent slug damage without harming the environment or killing the earthworm – nature’s own natural gardener. The system will be available in multiple option kit sizes and we will also offer an individual design service for particular projects.
“It has been a labour of love but due diligence and market intelligence has added to my belief that Molluskit could change the way gardeners, from the amateur, organic and allotment holder to the professional grower, tackle the destructive and costly global problem of slugs.”